Saturday, November 22, 2008

One Last Thought on 2008

Although I feel I have handled the lack of a Yankees playoff appearance well, there is one depressing aspect I am surprised I forgot to mention; the fact that we were unable to stretch out the use of Yankee Stadium in its last season. Of all the years for the Yankees to blow it, it's certainly a shame they had to do so in 2008. It would have been nice to say goodbye to the old stadium on a high note, with a dominant Yankee post-season that would be representative of the Yankees' overall dominance as a franchise. It's bad enough we are disrespecting the legacy of Babe Ruth et al by heartlessly tearing down the stadium for greedy purposes, but we weren't able to produce an honorable end to its run. Call me crazy, but I can force myself at will to hear sports broadcasters saying "could this be the last game at Yankee Stadium?" throughout the playoffs. That whole "what if" aspect was eliminated based on the indisputable fact the last game was sure to take place in September, not October.

No comments: